Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Flag

I designed this on the morning of Corrinne May's concert.

My own flag.




This flag represents me, and took years in the making.

(It's really difficult to represent yourself in symbols because you really need to know who you are and what you stand for.)

So here's what I have thus far:


Black symbolises God. I know it's not the usual symbol for God, but I don't really want to use a generic symbol like white to represent something that is so personal to me. He's a God that defies human understanding or representation, so I use the colour of the unknown.


The people remained at a distance, while Moses 
approached the thick darkness where God was.
-Exodus 20:21


I find God in the darkness. I'm closest to him when I feel fear; I'm attracted to the darkness for that very reason. Where there is real fear, there is real faith. God's the priority of my life and thus forms the top of my flag.

I will follow you into the dark.


The next colour is my favourite colour. Some call it magenta, some call it maroon; whatever the case, it's hard to put a label on the colour that represents me because I'm complicated. I like the colour because it's deep and passionate, like how I wish to be. It's positioned between the colour symbol for God and the colour symbol for man.


"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall 
and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I 
would not have to destroy it, but I found none.
- Ezekiel 22:30


Turquoise is the last colour and it represents the people around me I'm reaching out to. Turquoise is the favourite colour of several of my friends that I've been helping lately (yes, my doppelganger's favourite colour is this). It also represents, in the long run, the marginalised and the subaltern whom I want to fight for.


All in all, the flag represents my relationships in life. God is head and he is my strength and motivation to help others. In a way I'm but a channel for him to reach the rest if you look at it from a top down approach.


We love because he first loved us.
- 1 John 4:19


From a bottom up approach though, I think that the turquoise, which compliments my favourite colour, also represents the life partner I seek, who will be someone willing to follow me into the dark, as I seek to follow my Lord in this difficult life I'm called to, to whatever end.

No comments:

Post a Comment